Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The saga of the gym snobs

One of my goals for the summer, well really my main goal for the summer, is to get back to the gym and beat my body back into submission. It is never as violent as it sounds, because I am actually quite the ninny, but I have a workout buddy to help me repress the wuss in me and do that last 15 minutes of cardio.

This morning was my first morning back at the gym, and much to my elation (sike) the base gym that we frequent was packed. Typically there is a light dusting of Marine wives, trying to lose the thirty pounds they gained while their husbands were on deployment so they can feel confident for the homecoming. This morning, however, every cardio machine was in use (probably around 30 machines), the studio room had two consecutive classes going, and there was a line at pretty much every weight machine. The typical light dusting of Marine wives was now a thick layer of seniors, wives, and Marines alike. Intimidating for a first day back at the gym? Incredibly.

My workout buddy had just started a new abs and butt routine that she attested was an excellent way to "get cut." I'm not so much worried about that as I am about losing the sophomore 70 I gained this year, but she is definitely on the path to "getting cut." She was a little afraid that butt workout would be kinda awkward to do in the main gym, so we waited patiently for the senior citizens spinning class to end so that we could use the studio. We walked in at the end of their workout and were met with icy glares from every bifocaled pair of eyes in the room. This is when I knew that we had encountered the gym snobs. The instructor scolded us with her eyes and muttered in an angry tone that the class would be over in a few minutes. We took our mats and scooted out the door.

5 minutes later, the class ended, we picked up our mats and made our way to a corner of the studio. To our great dejection, we were met once again with threatening looks from a much younger, more hip (and ripped) looking group of moms in spandex pants. They, shocked that anyone would dare come in 15 minutes before their class start and try and use the room for some stretching, allowed us a corner as long as no one wanted to put their cycle there. Some words were exchanged between two of them that had something to do with "smart gym" and I knew once again what we were dealing with.


Tomorrow is our first day in the pool, and I am so excited at the prospect of pool snobbery. (sike).

1 comment: