Thursday, June 10, 2010

The saga of the Pielette

Yesterday I spent the day with my dear friend Lindsey Collins. She is one of the very few people who shares in my affinity for cooking AND photography. She is a much better baker than I, (and really a much better cook as well) so she did the bulk of everything, and I made the red sauce below. Don't laugh though, it was only the second sauce I have ever made, and the very first time I had EVER cooked with wine. That sauce was unbelievable. 
The apple pie was originally called a crustada, but I found that a rather gross name, so after much debate, and several rejected names (crustini was possibly the grossest to me) I decided pielette was the best. It is a pie without a pie pan so I found it fitting. I also just realized that pienini works as well.
For dinner, we decided to have a spicy rubbed grilled chicken, orzo pasta, and roasted potatoes. YUM.
Anyways, here are some photos, since it was just an overall night of indulgence for me.


Add a little Vietnamese Cinnamon
(I think I am going to try and make some chicken with this stuff that you could cook with this)




This is the final product. 
Pie-lette


Next we moved on to the sauce for the orzo and chicken.

I started out with some melted butter, added a little flour and milk to form a cream, and then some tomato paste, garlic, pinot grigio, thyme, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. We finished it off with some caramelized onions and it was perfect.



Lindsey had an amazing recipe for some grilled potatoes, but the grill wouldn't get hot enough, so she roasted them in the oven.  I think the topping for the potatoes consisted of Montreal Chicken seasoning and thyme, with olive oil, salt and pepper thrown in.



If you know me at all, you know that potatoes are my absolute favorite food
I eat them in any way, shape, or form that they come and could eat them for every meal. These were definitely no exception...
In fact, I am eating them again tonight.
Thank you, Lindsey Collins.



Final product:
grilled Cajun chicken on a bed of Orzo with the lovely sauce on the bottom, and a main dish of roasted potatoes.


Actually, I suppose this is the final product.
Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment