Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Pool

Today we went to the pool for the first day of swimming. Both of the indoor pools that we would typically frequent were closed for rennovation or training of some sort, so we decided on the Officer's Club pool. It was not lap swim hours, so we had to share the pool, but it turns out that the lifeguard at the pool is someone we went to high school with. She gave us some tips and taught Jessica how to dive. Through all of this, I discovered something very interesting: I am afraid to dive. I can jump from the high dive, and cannonball until the sun goes down, but there is something about putting my head into the water first that unnerves me. I even tried a level 1 sitting dive, and it ended in a belly flop.
After the pool we ventured to the sporting goods store so I could pick up a new pair of goggles, and was once again reminded that I KNOW NOTHING about swimming. I had to call a friend to even figure out what type of goggles to buy. It is definitely a pride blocker to recognize how inept I am at so many things.

No comments:

Post a Comment