Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tonight I was reminded in an exceptionally painful way that comparing myself to others only leads to hurt and grand feelings of inadequacy. My comfort and conviction in the midst of my insecurity was this:

Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.-- Hebrews 10:19-25

How does this relate at all to the dilemma in which I found myself earlier today? Well I am glad you ask. It is easy for me to compare my talents to other's and to seek accolades for them when I am feeling down. My confidence does not come from the success I experience from or in my talents. My hope is not in flesh or any other earthly thing, but in the blood of Jesus Christ and the purification it rendered in my soul. There is no room for love when envy resides in my heart. So instead of being envious (or to use that gross word, jealous) of the gifts and talents that my brothers and sisters have, I can come to them in love and good works and encourage them. I long desperately to love my brothers and sisters in a way that edifies them, so jealousy has to go out the window. And though I know it will creep back up, right now I'm not the slightest bit sad to see it go.

A parting thought for the day: God is beautiful and perfect and has lavished more love and mercy and forgiveness on me than I can take. I often neglect to recognize His beauty and when I do, I forget to forgive others and lavish that same mercy and love on them. Revel in His beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment