Thursday, February 25, 2010

Habitual Cup of Water

Friends come and go. this is especially true in view of my transient, impersonal lifestyle. One particular friend came back into my life today over coffee. Coffee is not actually accurate, because she drank a bizarre banana/ espresso combination and I stuck to my 'becomingmoreandmorehabitual' cup of water. I think the barista gave me the first little plastic cup on the stack because when I picked up the icy water to take a sip, my eyes were afronted with some random black fuzz floating amidst the tiny icebergs.
We chose a table and, in an act of utter selflessness, I sat facing the sunny window. The scrapes on the lenses of my glasses made it impossible to see this friend's face, rather I was blessed with colorful rainbow-like mirages, which provided a whimsical, nonsensical tone to the conversation. Our conversation ranged from dating to school to church- the three things that Southeastern life typically consists of and I was blessed with this comment:
There have been several girls who have come to me
and noticed that you are just not the same girl you were last semester.
I am constantly stunned when I hear this, (and I have been hearing it a lot lately) but I am grateful that God has placed people in my life to speak these things to me. I have changed a lot. well, more accurately, God has changed me a lot. He has crushed a good part of my restless uncomfortable spirit, and planted the broken pieces in a garden of humility and love. (A man just walked by the window with a handlebar mustache and a full beard. I have a barely controllable urge to run out the door after him and ask him to be my friend. It probably would not end well for either of us though. I am a gigantic clutz and would probably knock him over, or trip and skid my face on the pavement.)
The whole purpose of this post is simply to say that God changed me in a moment from an object of wrath to a child of the king, by He is also still changing me and working in me newness everyday. I am not the same as I was yesterday and I will not be the same tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. agreed. miss you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really cool to hear about what God's doing in you. it's crazy -according to people back home, they say that i'm a different person. i don't see it, but i'm grateful for it.
    doesn't it make you wonder what God will change in you another 2 years from now? 5 years? 20 years?

    ReplyDelete